[OLE #10] Make out of process COM work with OXID based marshal ids

tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net
Mon Dec 20 17:39:09 CST 2004

Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 17:56 +0000, Robert Shearman wrote:
>
>>Sorry Mike, but we want to *remove* the current hacks for the
>>RPC-runtime emulating named pipe code, not adding more.
>

> Yes, of course, but we also want to keep the code in CVS in a roughly
> working situation. As it is, the code is guaranteed to crash with all
> InstallShields (or indeed any program that uses out of process COM). If
> Alexandre was to do a new tarball release tomorrow that's a lot of users
> who are now inconvenienced.
>
> Currently table marshalling isn't implemented, nor is thread affinity.
> They're not 5-line patches either. They are on the todo list though and
> when they're done we can redo the threading to work more like native and
> remove the hacks.
>
> IIRC the patch I wrote for thread affinity at the start of the summer
> was never submitted precisely because it used a hack to ensure the
> thread could find its wine_pipe again (a TLS slot/stack thing). I think
> for thread affinity to work correctly we need to at least rework how
> pipes and threads interact, maybe even switch it on top of the RPC
> runtime transports entirely so re-entrancy works correctly.
>
> The patch really isn't as big as it looks, there are some formatting
> changes in there and some renaming+commenting.
>
> thanks -mike

I just want to say that I tried out this patch. It does not fix the problem for
InstallShield 6. I have a bug report in bugzilla if you are interested. Right
now AFAIKT InstallSheild is seriously broken (for quite some time) and I am
unable to use Native ole to workaround the problem. If there is anyway I can
help this process I please tell me.

--

Tony Lambregts.