Implement LockWindowUpdate [take 3]

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Fri Jan 16 06:00:47 CST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 05:43, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Yes it's much better. Now the problem is that the rest of the code
> won't be able to cope with it: in order to make sure painting always
> happens correctly, you will need to invalidate all the DCEs concerned
> by the window, to make sure all the update regions are recomputed
> correctly. Unfortunately this can't be done inter-process at the
> moment...

That went over my head I'm afraid. What do you mean by concerned?

Could you have told me this when I first submitted my patch? I feel it's
been a bit of a waste of time now - looking at the code it seems that
inter-process invalidation is not trivial thing.

Perhaps the code could be committed but disabled (just stick a return in
the first line of LockWindowUpdate) with a comment in RedrawWindow to
the effect of /* When inter-process invalidation is complete remember to
re-enable LockWindowUpdate */ otherwise I expect by the time we get this
feature everybody will have forgotten about the patch.

thanks -mike