Win32 packages released on sourceforge

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at intelliware.ca
Mon Mar 22 09:45:13 CST 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Paul Millar wrote:

> From what I can see, the script programs/winetest/maketest builds the
> winetest.rc file.  If the variable WINE_BUILD is set, it is used as the
> first element of the string-table, otherwise an auto-generated string is
> used, for example "20040322.1508-auto".
>
> This makes winetest.exe build-time-dependant, so screws up the
> check to see if anything's actually changed.
>
> Can I set WINE_BUILD to some fixed value?  If so, what's a good one to
> use?

The WINE_BUILD value must be valid, we can't distribute a winetest.exe
with a fixed value in there. What you can do is fix it at build time
to a known value (say YYYYMMDDhhmm), and replace it after the build
with the proper value.

Now, when do we build? I don't think we should trigger the build based
upon CVS commits, we need it a bit more controlled for a variety of
reasons. Here is what I propose:
  -- decide on a time at night when the tree is very unlikely to change
     (say 4am).
  -- every day, at 4:10am we do:
     cvs up -D YYYYMMDD0400
     (this way we know _precicely_ what we built, and we can reporduce it)
  -- do the build (fix WINE_BUILD), check if the winetest.exe really changed.
  -- if it changed, edit WINE_BUILD and set it to YYYYMMDD0400.
  -- publish the result as winetest-YYYYMMDD0400.zip via the CGI script

But the main point here is that we can't build based on CVS committs, we
need a well known, controlled point where we build so that developers
can reproduce the build and investigate problems.

--
Dimi.