WineHQ: Of </quote> and punctuations

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Mar 25 03:59:54 CST 2004

Ok, there's a problem with </quote> and punctuations. For instance in
WWN 171 we have (see the 'Wine Tech Meeting' section):

--- cut here ---
mentioned ReactOS had one. He went on to discuss some future plans,

    My goal if the ReactOS guys can get more than winhello working is to
    have WINEs shell32 and comctl32 running for Linux world

.

All in all the meeting was quite successful and a lot of people were
glad to be able to converse in real time about a lot of
--- cut here ---

See how we have a '.' all alone on a line?

Check there for the original:
http://www.winehq.org/?issue=171#Wine%20Tech%20Meeting

The reason why we have this unsightly sight is that on the WineHQ web
site '<quote>' creates a new indented paragraph so that any punctuation
that follows '</quote>' ends up being on the next line, either all
alone or just before the next sentence which is just as strange (see
WWN 177 for an example).

It's interesting to note that this problem does not occur in the Wine
Kernel Cousin. That's because in the Kernel Cousin there are both inline
quotes and 'standalone' quotes. So in the Kernel Cousin the above is an
inline quote which gives us:

--- cut here ---
dsp2make utility would be a useful addition and Steven mentioned ReactOS
had one. He went on to discuss some future plans, " My goal if the
ReactOS guys can get more then winhello working is to have WINEs shell32
and comctl32 running for Linux world" .
--- cut here ---

So there are two ways (at least) to fix the issue: systematically move
punctuations to before the </quote> tag (I can send a patch for that),
or change the <quote> tag to behave like in the Wine Kernel Cousin.

What's the preferred solution?

          tcA thgirypoC muinelliM latigiD eht detaloiv tsuj evah uoY