symbol hiding

Dan Timis timis at museresearch.com
Fri May 14 18:02:20 CDT 2004

On Friday, May 14, 2004, at 05:34 AM, wine-devel-request at winehq.org
wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 22:26:34 -0400
> From: Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
> To: wine-devel at winehq.org
> Subject: symbol hiding
>
> for this reason, i personally wouldn't feel comfortable asking in a
> public forum how to go about doing this. your mileage may and probably
> does vary, of course.

My original question generated this new thread, which in turn became
very technical.  But, I think that Paul's original posting was more of
a philosophical or maybe even moral nature.

I'm not sure if there is a FAQ about the etiquette on this group, the
kind of questions that can be asked, and the kind that cannot be asked.
  I have nothing to hide.  Our company sells a piece a hardware that has
an x86 mother board inside and runs Linux and wine.  It is a consumer
appliance similar to TiVo in the sense that it does not look like a
computer and the customer does not have access to the Linux shell, nor
can he or she run other applications.  On top Linux we have a
proprietary application that runs under wine (wine --
proprietary-application.exe.so).  Our application is not open source.

If questions relating to a commercial non open source product that uses
wine heavily are not welcome on this list, I apologize and I will never
ask these kinds of questions again.

Dan Timis
Muse Research, Inc.