Packaging Questions, New Debian Package, Packagers Guide

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Wed Nov 24 07:43:03 CST 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:56:43 -0800, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> My reason for splitting off libwine and wine is that libwine can be
> installed without wine and could someday be used to launch a program
> that has been ported with winelib, without having to have wine proper in
> it.

I'm afraid that's not correct. Due to C++ static constructor functions and
address space layout issues you run winelib apps like so:

wine foo.exe.so

> The reason for using libwine rather than winelib is to comply with
> Debian standards.

Well, no strong opinion on this, except a vague feeling that Wine upstream
calls it winelib not libwine, and overriding upstream standards with
downstream standards tends to cause confusion and pain at least in my
experience. So I'd be tempted to go for winelib. It's not a real library
anyway, you can't just dlopen it and go without a ton of complex work.

thanks -mike