Throwing in an idea (probably it was discussed before though)

Jacek Caban jack at itma.pwr.wroc.pl
Mon Aug 22 11:47:34 CDT 2005

John Smith wrote:

>> You can also set it yourselves in in your app. As configuration
>> is in registry, every app can modify it.
>

> I like this idea, thanks. There are still 2 issues with such a soultion:
> a) most likely, it won't work until 2nd start of the application (we
> will modify it on the first run, and it most likely won't be applied
> until the second run);

If you have an installer, you may configure Wine during installation.
If not - just detect Wine at the beginning of the app and, if you
have to configure Wine, do so and restart the app. It's a bit (very)
hackish but it should work and it's not visible for user.

> b) current WINE guides are discouraging us from detecting WINE - and
> messing up with Windows Registry, especially HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, on
> all the millions of non-WINE machines is not a thing I would really
> like to do (the last thing we want is to be caught by some antivirus,
> which monitors activity it considers suspicious and changing
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE can easily qualify).

You don't have to touch HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Wine's configuration
is in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. And you may use modified WGA (and millions
of other) way to detect Wine:-)

Note: I still think fixing Wine is better way to go.

Jacek