unixfs.dll: shell namespace extension for the unix filesystem

Michael Jung mjung at iss.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Feb 23 07:20:09 CST 2005

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 12:38, Mike Hearn wrote:
> - I do not understand why a UnixFSPIDLToPath function is needed, doesn't
>   Win32 already provide a generic form of this function? If we are going
>   to introduce new APIs then the whole excercise becomes meaningless as we
>   may as well just have a wine_browse_for_unix_path() function and skip
>   the whole COM/shell extension business.

I agree, but I couldn't figure out how it is supposed to be done. I'll have to
dig deeper on this one. Comments, anyone?

> - You don't need to check This, if it's NULL the code should crash not
>   fail with an error code.

OK.

> - Normally we'd use S_OK instead of NOERROR as an HRESULT return

MSDN says it's NOERROR, but since both S_OK and NOERROR are defined
_HRESULT_TYPEDEF_(0L) in winerror.h, we can as well switch to S_OK. Is
NOERROR some kind of a legacy definition?

> Please do go ahead and submit it!

Currently, unixfs is registered as a virtual folder appearing directly at 'My
Computer'. Winecfg uses SHBrowseForFolder, but it will also appear in
open/save-as dialogs. Would this be ok?

Thanks for your comments,
--
Michael Jung