vartest.c - major pain in the build process

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Sun Feb 27 18:58:47 CST 2005

"Ferenc Wagner" <wferi at afavant.elte.hu> wrote:

> I was under the impression that most of the tests are
> independent of desktop visibility.

Not really. Any API which directly or indirectly creates windows or uses
GDI is affected by the desktop visibility. Also, as I already pointed out,
Wine doesn't run in that mode at all, so we can't compare apples to apples
in that case. And the apps most of the developers/users care about should be
run on a visible desktop anyway.

>  And the winrash service
> is the only way to get several reports quickly for a new
> test.

Why? What prevents someone to run the tests manually in interactive mode
once a day? If that someone can't or won't do it, then we have to find
another someone. I'm pretty sure that there are enough not lazy people
wishing to help we could to choose from.

>  If it wasn't automatic, it would take a good while
> until the tests are run.  So I wanted to keep the best of
> both ways by introducing a new flag according to your
> recommendation:
>
> static int running_on_visible_desktop ()
> {
>     return (GetWindowLongA (GetDesktopWindow (), GWL_STYLE) & WS_VISIBLE) != 0;
> }
>
> Looks like it doesn't quite work, though: it returns 1 all
> the time under Win9x and NT.  Can you perhaps tell why?

I don't know. And figuring out why it doesn't work is completely useless IMO,
since the results of the tests running on an invisible desktop can't be used
for a reasonable comparison.

--
Dmitry.