[ck] Re: Threading issues? [[email protected]: ck Digest, Vol 3, Issue 16]

Mike McCormack mike at codeweavers.com
Thu Jan 13 04:04:23 CST 2005

Shachar Shemesh wrote:

>  From what I understood from him, this had a lot to do with the "epoll"
> change I investigated some time back. I'll let Mike say whether that is so.

There's a bug in the overlapped I/O code in file.c that means a normal
file fd is added to the select() array and never removed, causing
wineserver to go into a busy loop.  I have a hack for it CrossOver,
which I have submitted to wine-patches, which doesn't really fix the
problem properly:

http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-patches/2004/11/0300.html

The epoll patch fixs the problem, but not directly.  The reason was that
epoll refuses to add a normal file fd to the fd set, where as select was
quite happy doing that.

I'm waiting on Eric Peouch's async I/O rewrite to go in and I'll retest
and see if the above bug still exists.

Mike