Recruit regression testers?

Nikolas Zimmermann wildfox at kde.org
Mon Jan 24 05:58:19 CST 2005

On Monday 24 January 2005 04:01, Ivan Leo Puoti wrote:
> I think quite a few regressions get into releases, and while a few a
> tracked down
> some stay in the code for months if not years (I've heard of at least
> one game that
> worked some 2 years ago but doesn't now), while regression testing may
> seem trivial
> to a developer, it can be a challenging task for most users, especially
> if they are new to wine/Linux.
> So maybe we should recruit some people to get regression reports from
> users, find the
> patch that caused the regression, and report back to developers.
> Am I just to tired at time of writing or could this be a good idea?
>
> Ivan.

Hi Ivan,

this idea sounds quite good, though I've had a different concept in mind,
for let's say more "mature wine releases". Though the whole releasing
methods would need changes. I was thinking of a ie. wine beta1-rc release.
Now we wanna make sure no new regressions have been introduced - but how?

I thought of creating a global list of applications, which are known to be
quite "tricky" and have been broken several times of the last years. Think
of a big feature matrix showing all applications indicating their status
"works" /  "broken forever" / "broken since last release".

And a new wine release would only be given out when all of these apps
have been tested. This would require a high amount a people with a real
motivation in background and probably a much longer time until the release
is "ready". Do you think this idea is "overengineered"?

Bye
 Bye
  Niko