redirecting text to standard out

Raphael Clifford raphael at clifford.net
Sat Mar 26 06:15:26 CST 2005

Hans Leidekker wrote:

>On Friday 25 March 2005 16:14, Raphael Clifford wrote:
>

>>I am running a windows app under wine that prints text to the screen.
>>This can be copied and pasted into wine's notepad.  Is there any way to
>>get wine to simply output all text written by the app to standard out?
>>

>I remember I did something like this to extract the word list
>from a Dutch dictionary program:
>
> WINEDEBUG="trace+text" wine <app.exe> 2>&1
>
>Because my program can't display all words at once and
>because I didn't want to click the mouse button a hundred
>thousand times I wrote a little program to do it.
>
>I used xwininfo and xev to find the window id and
>coordinates of the down arrow on the scroll bar for the
>word list. The program would then send X button press
>and release events to this window in a loop.
>
> -Hans

Thanks very much that is fantastic. Also avoids my having to edit the
source code :)

There is something very simple I don't understand though.  Using those
options on pokerstars.exe (from www.pokerstars.com), for example, you
constantly get text that is not being output to the pokerstars screen on
top of the stuff that is. To give a concrete example, try joining a
table and look at the output of wine using WINEDEBUG="text".  It is
constantly printing out messages that seem to relate to the previous
login screen!  It seems I don't really understand what is going on. Any
ideas?  Is the login screen secretly hanging around somewhere but just
not visible in wine?

Cheers,
Raphael