Fwd: Re: Fwd: MBR was destroyed

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Sun Nov 20 23:02:14 CST 2005

Hello,

> I think I still didn't make myself clear. Yes there is (I guess) a bad
> bug in Wine. But: giving normal users a right to write to /dev/hd? is
> very dangerous and should be avoided.
  Exactly, I second this. For example, in my standard Linux setup, the disks
have the following permissions:
brw-------  1 root root 3, 0 Nov 13 19:58 /dev/hda
brw-------  1 root root 3, 1 Nov 13 19:58 /dev/hda1
brw-------  1 root root 3, 2 Nov 13 19:58 /dev/hda2
brw-------  1 root root 3, 3 Nov 13 19:58 /dev/hda3
brw-------  1 root root 3, 4 Nov 13 19:58 /dev/hda4
brw-------  1 root root 3, 5 Nov 13 19:58 /dev/hda5
brw-------  1 root root 3, 6 Nov 13 19:58 /dev/hda6
brw-------  1 root root 3, 7 Nov 13 19:58 /dev/hda7

> Why would a normal user need a write access to /dev/hd? ?
  I can imagine just a single exception - when it is a windows partition,
used directly by some windows "emulation" software (as vmware can). But AFAIK
wine cannot do this, so it's not needed there.

> Wine can have bugs, any other application could have bugs that made them
> try to write things to /dev/hd?. You could get some virus or whatever
> that execute with you user's right and you really don't want it to wipe
> out your hdd, do you ?
Even the user can have a bug :-). I'm running and administering UN*X systems
from 1989 but I still strictly distinguish between root and user rights. I've
found it very VERY useful.
  However, I'm also voting for finding and solving this wine bug.
                                  With regards, Pavel Troller