DirectSound problems - dlls/dsound/mixer.c

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sun Oct 30 11:26:35 CST 2005

Sunday, October 30, 2005, 6:23:17 AM, Davin McCall wrote:
> Good news - I have got it working. It required work in both the mixer and
> the Wine ALSA sound driver. It works on my system if the ALSA driver is used
> and hw emulation is NOT used (in winecfg).

> If anyone would like to test patches, give me a hoy. In particular I'd like
> to make sure it doesn't break anything else - StarCraft is one of the few
> Windows apps I actually have :-)
The really good and simple test is winapm. I'm using an older version so there
is less problems with other unrelated stuff.

What I've found is that when you pause the sound wait a bit then resume, it's
like it never stopped playing (skips ahead by the length of the time it was
paused). It doesn't happen all the time though.

Second problem - some times after pause I'm getting white loud noise for a long
period of time.

Third problem - is when you try forward/rewind song number of times eventually
you get some really strange results with it..

With your patch only the second problem fixed. And the 3rd is match better (I've
managed to confuse it few times, but it's like it took some time before play
position got updated).

Also I tested you patch with several games: Heroes of Might & Magic III - butch
better! I can set HW Accel to Full and no sound glitches! Sweet!

HL1 & HL2 - Doesn't start at all in Full. HL1 crashes id different places on
exit in dsound with each setting, except Emulation. Sounds is match better and I
don't have any delays at all! Nice!

Thank you for attending to this abandoned baby. Your work is really appreciated!

Vitaliy