All right, let's solve these .desktop issues forever

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Aug 10 00:39:47 CDT 2006

On 8/9/06, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
> As of right now, I'd estimate that over half of our users are using Wine
> from a terminal window to launch their applications, largely because
> their window manager doesn't put Wine's Start Menu entries into their
> applications menu.

Indeed.

> Wine's been making .desktop files for some time, however it seems like
> they're being put in the wrong place.  There's supposedly a proper,
> standard place to put them (or there should be), and perhaps a hack can
> be put in at the package-maintainer level, but in any case this is a
> pretty big usability issue at the moment.
>
> I'm pretty confident that someone here knows the answer to how things
> should be, and I'm also pretty sure it's a fairly simple change to make.
> Either way, we need to have a discussion about it - what's the next step
> here?

I started up xfce today,  and was surprised to see all the menu items
for all the windows apps I'd installed over the last few months show up.
Sadly, this was wrong, since I'd done "rm -rf .wine" many times.
It'd be nice if the .desktop files were stored inside ~/.wine so they could
go away when that directory did :-(

Hrmf.  Lemme ask the Portland folks.
- Dan