DIB Engine

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Thu Aug 24 10:08:29 CDT 2006

> If the game really needs a DIB engine a good discussion here is needed on
> how to proceed. Writing the DIB engine itself (all the drawing code) is not
> that hard the most difficult thing is how to properly integrate this all
> with gdi and wine's x11drv. I don't think wine wants to depend on other
> libraries like cairo and second integrating those with wine could be tricky
> aswell. Further Wine might need a gdiplus.dll in the future which offers
> similar functionality as cairo and friends.
My slightly crazy plan to fix the gaming issues is to write a gdi driver which
uses opengl for rendering. To avoid implementing all nasty gdi stuff I hope I
can keep a classic hdc and fall back to this(including downloading the
surface from opengl, ...). I plan to implement the most common gdi calls,
like drawing text.

The problem with just having a gdi engine is that if d3d games call getDC on
the render target we would still have to download and upload the whole render
target. A game that needs this is Empire Earth, and the D3D7 sdk d3d demos
are good testing apps. With implementing the most important gdi calls in gl
and a gl renderer for ddraw we can avoid the need for a gdi endine for DDraw
and D3D games.