Startup time of OOo2, Firefox 1.5. Some surprises.

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Feb 9 23:40:31 CST 2006

On 1/29/06, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> To see how reasonable it might be to use OOo 2.0.1 and Firefox 1.5
> under Wine routinely, I benchmarked their startup time
> on a Fedora Core 5 test 2 system under four conditions:
> native vs. with wine from cvs, and with 416MB RAM vs. 96 MB RAM
> [On cold start and 96 MB RAM], win32 openoffice starts
> up with wine 1.5 times *faster* than the native linux version!

Nope.  Measurement error.  Turns out running Firefox in wine
and then OpenOffice in wine makes OpenOffice start up fast,
since wine's in the cache.  Gotta reboot between runs of
even different apps.

> I then measured how long it took to start up the app the second
> time, when the cache was nice and hot:
>
> 4 Firefox run2 native 96MB
> 6 Firefox run2 wine 96MB
> 36 ooo run2 native 96MB
> 28 ooo run2 wine 96MB

I measured this again tonight.  It's still roughly true;
tonight I got 35 seconds native, 30 with Wine
(leaving wineserver and the helper window running between runs).

I suspect the reason is the slow shared library
Once that's in (if he can convince Ulrich Drepper),
native OOo should load as fast as OOo under wine.
- Dan