Link or rename wcmd.exe to cmd.exe?

Chris chris.kcat at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 00:52:46 CDT 2006

On Sunday 02 July 2006 16:31, you wrote:
> Have you ever seen this be a problem in the real world?

Yes. Start Progman, or some ther "shell" application, without an xterm (eg.
through your WM or by running wine progman.exe &), then attempt to execute
wcmd.exe (a standard operation I'd think, if you want to have a Windows shell
running and subsequently want to get a Windows command line). You lose the
ability to control wcmd, and can't kill it without manually running kill or
killall on the process.

> >To be "ready", wouldn't it need to open up its own terminal window for
> > input and output in Wine's desktop space (eg. the virtual desktop if it's
> > in use, or the standard desktop)?
>
> No.  That would destroy its usefulness in background applications.

Wouldn't not doing it destroy its usefulness? If wcmd is supposed to act like
Windows' cmd, then it should act like Windows' cmd, eg. opening its own
console window in Wine's desktop space and running there. If it doesn't, it
would lead to compatibility issues for programs that try to use a cmd.exe
window itself since the behavior is different.