WM_GETICON patch

Chris chris.kcat at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 09:17:48 CDT 2006

On Monday 12 June 2006 06:42, Mike Hearn wrote:
> Actually images are stored as pixmaps in the X server, so it'd be awfully
> convenient if we could leverage that but I suspect the need to support
> non-X display systems means we have to do it the hard way, by shovelling
> image bits across the socket.

Actaully you couldn't anyway, according to dlls/user/cursoricon.c:

 * This layout is very sub-optimal, as the bitmap bits are stored in
 * the X client instead of in the server like other bitmaps; however,
 * some programs (notably Paint Brush) expect to be able to manipulate
 * the bits directly :-(

How would you allocate memory that could be shared between processes (either
implicitly, or with a way to "transform" a pointer for one process to
another)? Would that be an acceptable work around until something better is
made?