[d3d8] regression between 0.9.8 and 0.9.9 in Age of Mythology

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Sat Mar 4 07:38:10 CST 2006

> It seems that during the porting of d3d8 to use wined3d some of there
> was some breakage.  Age of Mythology was working fine, but now all
> vertex data is totally messed up (2D is menus and stuff is fine).  It
> has been this way in CVS for the past few days, when I first noticed
> it.  I thought it might be my local changes so I didn't report it, but
> testing with the new 0.9.9 it had the same behavior (i.e. not my fault
> :)
>
> After debugging things for a while it seems that problem lies in
> vertex data with RHW set.  It seems that AoM is using all pre-lit and
> pre-transformed vertex data and this is not being processes properly.
> I think the problem is with drawprim.c:drawStridedSlow() but I haven't
> been able to figure out exactly where yet.  If anyone has any ideas
> (or patches!) I'd be glad to help debug.
>
> Regards,
>   Aric

Right now d3d8's SetVertexShader is disabled because d3d8 shaders don't work
using wined3d yet. Last week I experimented a bit with it and I managed to
get some simple vertex shader examples working (for instance
http://www.codesampler.com/source/dx8_vs11_shader_simple.zip and the dolphin
sample from sdk although with small issues). If I run bigger apps like
3dmark2001 and others there are huge drawing issues. I'm not very familiar
with the shader/drawing code (and vertex shaders in general) so it is very
difficult for me to debug. You can try the patch attached to this email but
it is far from complete. If you or someone else with enough experience can
look at it, you're welcome as my time is limited.

Regards,
Roderick

--
"Feel free" mit GMX FreeMail!