OpenAL and DirectSound

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Fri Nov 17 10:31:00 CST 2006

Hi,
Just stumbled uppon some interesting thing about openal and DirectSound 3D on
vista: http://www.openal.org/openal_vista.html

It sounds like openal will be the old way to get hw accelerated 3d sound on
vista, and creative is writing a dsound -> openal wrapper. Maybe it gets a
proper license so we can include it in wine :-)

Maybe we should write an openal thunk for wine? Many games use openal, and it
seems that on wine openal uses directsound. That might work more better and
faster if we had a openal.dll which directly called linux openal :-)

Just dropping the suggestions :-)
Stefan