ALSA implementation

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.co.uk
Sun Sep 17 11:26:12 CDT 2006

Aaron Slunt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I talked on #winehq in irc about how horribly alsa is implemented right
> now. I was told that winmm would need a complete re-write and the dsound
> needs some changes as well.
>
> My question is: anybody here who's familiar with all of the changes that
> need to be made to get alsa working properly?
>
> Thanks.

I am an ALSA developer, and at one point tried to fix the wine alsa
support. I found the wine source code very difficult to read and
understand. Windows seems to have so many different sound APIs, I did
not really know where to start.

I suspect that either wine will have to change a lot, or ALSA will have
to change a lot before they work nicely together.

James