ALSA implementation

Jan Zerebecki jan.wine at zerebecki.de
Sun Sep 17 18:58:59 CDT 2006

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 05:26:12PM +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> I am an ALSA developer, and at one point tried to fix the wine alsa
> support. I found the wine source code very difficult to read and
> understand. Windows seems to have so many different sound APIs, I did
> not really know where to start.

Everything in wine that uses alsa is below dlls/winmm/winealsa/.
I explained in a different mail to this thread what bugs are in
winealsa. (Archive link to that mail is:
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2006-September/050826.html )

> I suspect that either wine will have to change a lot, or ALSA will have
> to change a lot before they work nicely together.

As explained in the mail refrenced above the main problem is that
in wine the alsa callback signal (that we currently use) won't
work properly without special care, but the fd based method (for
example with select) should work as expected. We just need
someone to code this change.

It seems I just found out how to fix the other winealsa problem I
mentioned in that mail, I'm currently testing if it works.

Jan