Patchwork (was Re: Governance revisited)

Mike McCormack mike at codeweavers.com
Tue Sep 26 09:04:03 CDT 2006

Accepted patches will appear in the wine-cvs mailing list.

Patches with obvious problems may receive a response on wine-devel.

Some patches may not receive any response.  In this case, your patch
maybe considered 'Not Obviously Correct', and you can:

* check the patch over yourself, and think about what can be done to
clarify the patch (hints in the list above)

* write a mail to wine-devel, explain your patch and request it be
reviewed by anybody that cares to review it

* unless one already exists, open a bug in bugzilla describing the
problem you are trying to solve (eg. ./configure fails on Solaris, etc)
and attach your patch.

* ask for advice about your patch on #winehackers

You may find it difficult to solicit feedback, so think carefully about
the comments you receive.
Jeremy White wrote:

>     2.  Other wine-hackers can see what patches are apparently headed
>         through cracks, and get a chance to jump on them.

The proactive approach of the patch submitter requesting a review on
wine-devel seems better to me.  There's more chance people will respond
to a mail with a summary of the issue than that they'll monitor a web page.

Instead of spending time building a patch tracking system, I propose
that we modify the submitting patches page as below.

Mike

Patches with obvious problems may receive a response on wine-devel.

Some patches may not receive any response.  In this case, your patch
maybe considered 'Not Obviously Correct', and you can:

* check the patch over yourself, and think about what can be done to
clarify the patch (hints in the list above)

* write a test case showing your patch is correct