Bugs with new 'installer' keyword

Tom Spear speeddymon at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 18:43:05 CDT 2006

On 9/26/06, James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/26/06, Tom Spear <speeddymon at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Just a quick side.. We have a component for MSI, why not make ones for
> other
> > installer types as well, such as (at the very least) InstallShield, and
> > possibly WISE?
> >

> MSI is a component of Windows and thus Wine.  Installshield and WISE
> are proprietary products not affiliated with Windows.
>
> --
> James Hawkins

IMHO, I disagree.  On a base install of windows, under program files, there
is an installshield driver, along with ikernel.exe.  I may be wrong because
it has been a while since I reinstalled windows, and so therefore it may be
added when you run an installshield installer for the first time, but even
still, directx is an "addon" to windows, but we have a component for it.
Heck, even MSI is an "addon" to windows, in that it's listed under windows
update and they release new versions of it.  Granted directx and MSI are
affiliated in that they are made by M$, but like I said, installshield
requires a dll in order to enable to files to work, just as MSI and directx
do.

--
Thanks

Tom

Check out this new 3D Instant Messenger called IMVU.  It's the best I have
seen yet!

http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_registration.php?userId=1547373