Bugs with new 'installer' keyword

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 19:04:42 CDT 2006

On 9/26/06, Tom Spear <speeddymon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/26/06, James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/26/06, Tom Spear <speeddymon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Just a quick side.. We have a component for MSI, why not make ones for
> other
> > > installer types as well, such as (at the very least) InstallShield, and
> > > possibly WISE?
> > >

> > MSI is a component of Windows and thus Wine.  Installshield and WISE
> > are proprietary products not affiliated with Windows.
> >
> > --
> > James Hawkins
> >

> IMHO, I disagree.  On a base install of windows, under program files, there
> is an installshield driver, along with ikernel.exe.  I may be wrong because
> it has been a while since I reinstalled windows, and so therefore it may be
> added when you run an installshield installer for the first time, but even
> still, directx is an "addon" to windows, but we have a component for it.
> Heck, even MSI is an "addon" to windows, in that it's listed under windows
> update and they release new versions of it.  Granted directx and MSI are
> affiliated in that they are made by M$, but like I said, installshield
> requires a dll in order to enable to files to work, just as MSI and directx
> do.

Please do some research before you make statements like these.  MSI
and DirectX are produced and provided by Microsoft.  InstallShield is
produced and provided by Macrovision.  InstallShield does require a
dll in order to work: msi.dll.  InstallShield is just a fancy wrapper
around MSI, and, no, it's not a part of the Microsoft Windows
Operating System in any way.

http://www.macrovision.com/products/flexnet_installshield/index.shtml

--
James Hawkins