wined3d base GLX requirement

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Thu Sep 28 03:37:52 CDT 2006

> On 28/09/06, James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Why should someone have to install glx to run Wine if they don't care
> > about using wined3d, or if they do need to use wined3d they don't care
> > about using glx?  Wine should at least be able to compile in
> > circumstances such as these.  There could be lots of reasons why no
> > one has complained, most likely because such a user hasn't showed up,
> > but that doesn't mean it's not possible.  My previous work machine
> > didn't meet these glx version demands, and every time something new
> > was added without checks, my build would break, and it was getting
> > very annoying having to write to wine-devel that the build broke
> > again.
> >
> > --
> > James Hawkins
> Not quite. The build breaking on certain machines has/had to do with
> GL versions rather than GLX versions. GLX versions < 1.3 should be a
> lot less common than old GL versions.
>
> Note that Roderick has been restructuring the wgl code, with one of
> the goals being to use wgl rather than GLX in wined3d. It might be
> worth it to just wait for that to get moved over.

I was about to answer something similar. Wait untill the opengl32 rewrite is done. As far as I have seen we don't really need GLX 1.3 in wined3d. I think GLX 1.2 provides most of the things we need except for pbuffer/fbconfig support. GLX 1.2 combined with those extensions should be enough for us. In all cases wined3d should compile on all opengl systems and the GLX capabilities need to be checked at runtime (inside 'opengl32.dll').

Further most people are still using GLX 1.2. The Nvidia drivers provide GLX 1.3 or even GLX 1.4 support both in the client library aswell as in the GLX server module but this is quite rare.

In case of all other drivers (including ATI and Mesa) the GLX server version is still 1.2 while the client version is 1.3, 1.4 or even 1.5 (latest Mesa). The GLX version + extensions which you can actually use is based on what BOTH the client and server support. In case of non-Nvidia drivers this is still GLX 1.2 + some extensions. Ati for instance isn't correctly advertising these extensions and that's why some stuff why some stuff which they do support isn't advertised.

To summarize it, cleaning up the GLX checks perhaps isn't that usefull at the moment and if you do it, it should become runtime checks. Further expect that the GLX version is 1.2.

Roderick