Which is more important to Linux users, itunes or photoshop?

Zac Brown zac at zacbrown.org
Mon Dec 24 10:03:00 CST 2007

Maarten Lankhorst wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> Dan Kegel schreef:
>> Not a real question, but I thought this graph was interesting:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/trends?q=dreamweaver+linux%2C+%22world+of+warcraft%22+linux%2C++itunes+linux%2C+photoshop+linux
>>
>> It seems iTunes on Linux is twice as popular a query as Photoshop on Linux.
>> No idea what that really means, but it does make me
>> want to get our iTunes support shipshape...
>>
>> Then again, this graph shows mplayer beating out itunes (presumably
>> because it works):
>> http://www.google.com/trends?q=dreamweaver+linux%2C+mplayer+linux%2C++itunes+linux%2C+photoshop+linux
>>
>> OK, too much fooling around with graphs.  Back to
>> watching Underdog with my four-year-old...
>>
> This is just looking for search queries, there are probably a lot more
> variationis of it (such as dreamweavers+ubuntu, etc). I personally think
> all 3 important:
> - iTunes because it's such a popular program, and wine should have
> support for it.
> - Photoshop and dreamweaver are because there are no professional
> alternatives for it with a familiar interface.
>
> They are 2 groups that have different demands of the os (amusement vs
> productivity). So I think they are both important in their own way.
>
> Cheers,
> Maarten.

I agree with this stand point. Aside from the iTunes store functionality there
a few different programs that are excellent replacements for iTunes. People are
probably just querying it to figure out how to work with their iPods.

Photoshop/Dreamweaver/Illustrator are all definitely big on the professional side.
I use Photoshop myself, though I'm sort of weened myself off of it and am getting
used to the Gimp. Maybe the new Gimp interface will be more intuitive? Either way
both should be focus points but if you put priority one, I feel like Photoshop and
friends is probably a little more important to people.

-Zac