WineCfg and DirectX options

Vit Hrachovy vit.hrachovy at sandbox.cz
Mon Mar 19 06:59:35 CDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 10:49:59AM +0000, Ray Jones wrote:
> H. Verbeet <hverbeet <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > On 17/03/07, Louis Lenders <xerox_xerox2000 <at> yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > > I completely agree with this.This fiddling around with regedit is really
> > > annoying, and moreover you cannot see what keys actually can be added or
> > > changed.
> > >
> > Because it's not something you should have to configure.
>
> But "fiddling around" with native and built in DLLs is something that shouldn't
> have to be configured as well, but still, it has to be done and that's why it
> can be found in winecfg. For those who like to configure DirectX thingers,
> the better way (after a setting has become somewhat "useful" of course)
> would be winecfg.
> Even more, what if someone doesn't know about all the registry keys?
> Every user knows winecfg, and I'd say users are more likely tempted to "play"
> with some checkboxes than unknown registry settings, and users who "solved" a
> problem this way are more likely to report this than those who have not been
> successful.
>
> On the other hand, why not implement switching these registry keys into
> winetricks because it's doing a great job already anyway? ;

Hi,
implementing GLSL checkbox, OffScreenRenderingMode dropdown menu and
VideoMemorySize textbox into winecfg would be easy.

winetricks is IMO going the same way as winetools - too much functions
in one big shell file. This will be very hard to maintain as
functionality grows.

I consider Wine-Doors project more promising as it splits these
hacks into separate 'packages'. Recently it's become really usable :-)

There is also a lightweight command-line PERL based implementation of
Wine-Doors called winebot at http://winebot.sandbox.cz . Both Wine-Doors
and Winebot share same package sources.

Regards
Vit Hrachovy