"Installer already running"

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Mon May 7 12:39:00 CDT 2007

Hi Tom!

> On 5/7/07, Pavel Troller <patrol at sinus.cz> wrote:
> >Dear Vitaliy,
> >  I'm very sorry for my total stupidity, ignorance and maybe even debility,
> >but I can't find nothing common between Bug# 219 and my question.
> >  The PhysX installer doesn't check for any *ICE components present in the
> >system, doesn't output any strings to wine console, which are described in
> >the bug desc, and the message "The installer is already running", which is
> >typical for my problem, is not mentioned in the bug description at all.
> >  So please be patient with me and explain me in the deeper detail, why are
> >you thinking that I'm asking for #219.
> >    With regards, Pavel Troller
>
> I agree, this is not an issue with Copy Protection, this is an issue
> where the installer thinks that the installer is already running.
>
> A couple of questions
>
> -Have you tried running the PhysX installer manually, after the game
> is installed?
Yes. It's stated in my original mail. The results are identical.

> -Have you tried running wineboot to make sure any run entries are
> cleared and then running the PhysX installer manually?
No, because the game installer neither didn't warn me that the windows will
reboot, nor asked me to do it manually. And I tried to install the PhysX
driver on another machine, independently on the previous attempts on the
first one, and it also did exactly the same.

> -Any idea what brand of installer it is (InstallShield, MSI, WISE, or
> some other)?  If you aren't sure, I can always take a look at the
> installer, if you will bzip and send to me (less than 10mb).

The package is provided as a single executable file. It doesn't identify
itself, it just pops up the dialog that it's already running. The only
trace is the window title, which says "AGEIA PhysX V2.5.1 Setup". I think
that it's something special, not a classic brands of installers.

I will send you the file privately.

> --
> Thanks
>
> Tom