Alarming number of users getting hardlocks with Wine

Rick Romero rick at valeoinc.com
Thu May 24 13:35:05 CDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 11:19 -0700, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> Reading the Ubuntu forums, I've noticed quite a few reports from users
> complaining about Wine deadlocking their system - keyboard unresponsive,
> with no solution but to restart the entire computer.
>
> Sometimes users report this problem after running ANY Wine process -
> even winecfg.
>
> I'm not sure what's causing the issue.  At first I thought it was a
> hardware thing (perhaps ATI's infamously terribly drivers), but would
> that still prevent winecfg from working?  Wine is a user-level process,
> it shouldn't be able to cause a hardlock under any circumstances, right?
>
> Anyone else seen these kinds of reports?

Hi Scott - Not Wine related, but on Debian Sid OpenOffice 2.1/2.2, if I
click a menu item it will randomly 'deadlock'.   The system isn't really
locked up though, if I ssh in from another machine I can see my X server
is pegged at 100%.   Killing X, of course restarts everything under it,
but the machine is still technically 'responsive'.

So... Ubuntu is a form of Debian...  X locks up..  I figured it was just
my Xserver, as I use an old Matrox 400 Dual Head....

Maybe it's just a coincidence..

Rick

> Thanks,
> Scott Ritchie