CSS changes to the Wiki

Jan Zerebecki jan.wine at zerebecki.de
Sat Oct 13 13:29:33 CDT 2007

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 01:32:32PM -0500, Alex Waite wrote:
>   Awhile ago I sent a few patches in to cleanup some HTML and CSS on
> WineHQ.  I didn't continue with writing more patches since it seemed
> like we didn't have a clear idea of what direction we wanted to pursue.
>  I am more than happy to help with a rewrite or update of the site, but
> as long as we have an plan of what we want to accomplish and how to go
> about it.

You likely need to come up with the plan yourself and if you want
to make sure the other people working on the website stuff agree
you might need to address them personally (in mail with cc-ing
them or on IRC).

>   With the release of Wine 1.0 coming... sometime... in the future, it
> would make sense if we had an updated website to accompany that release.
>  From my point of view, the following are some big problems with the
> current site:
> * Not pretty: while not awful, there are better color schemes and
> layouts in the world.  We can also look at some usability improvements.
>  If people are partial to it, we can still use the winish-red color, but
> I think we can use it in a more attractive way than we do now.

We probably want to retain some winish-red color. (The content
and the rest listed here is probably more important than a better
layout / color scheme. But if you come up and implement something
better that most like, your work is welcome anyway.)

> * Table-hell: This is where I tout the joys of <div>'s and CSS.  Tables
> are a pain to deal with and bloat the code quite a bit.  Not to mention
> that they make pages pretty inaccessible.

Yes.

> * Accessibility: Tables are the big culprit here, but there's also
> simple things like making the code valid.  There's also some fairly
> straightforward ways of writing code which help a lot (precede lists
> with headers, nest headers correctly, etc).  While accessibility doesn't
> have to be perfect, I think it promotes well written code and makes
> pages more accessible to more people.

Yes.

> * Valid code: This is a principal to me.  I think if code is to be
> written, it should be written correctly.  Wine is known for not
> accepting hacks or improper fixes; I think our website should reflect
> that, especially since the spec is not hard to conform to.

Yes.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 08:46:41PM -0500, Alexander Q. Waite wrote:
>   I've offered a few times to help work on the website, provided we had
> a plan and worked together to achieve it.  I hope I didn't come across
> as whining, because that was never my intention.  I just feel there are
> a number of improvements which can be made to the website/wiki/appdb and
> it would likely be a better outcome if the efforts were coordinated.
>   In my previous posts I attempted to identify what I felt were
> potential problem areas, to encourage others to provide their input and
> hopefully get some dialog.  I think the Wine pages need a bit of a face
> lift, and the HTML could use some improvement too when it comes to
> conforming to the spec and accessibility.  If others agree or disagree,
> I'd like to hear about it, so that we can - together - identify what we
> feel are and aren't problem areas.  Then we can determine if the tasks
> at hand are large enough to warrant coordination or are better left to
> singular efforts.
>   I look forward to hearing other people's thoughts.

No reply is usually an indicator for agreement on wine-devel. As
I said above you can find out the main workers / responsible
people in that area and ask them directly. For the appdb there is
some coordination done already, but for the rest of the website
stuff besides that there is not that much work done there is thus
also not much coordination going on. So you likely need to do the
coordination and/or leading yourself.

Work on this is welcome.

Jan