winedos: Allocate a console when loading dos applications

Maarten Lankhorst m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 15:21:34 CST 2008

Hi all,

2008/2/14, Dmitry Timoshkov <dmitry at codeweavers.com>:
> "Maarten Lankhorst" <m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > It worked before ba896e75d7fce68e5183007b65eae7e35490ccd4. (Around
>  > wine 0.9.33 or so) After that it was broken. I have a wine 0.9.9 that
>  > when run does create a seperate console for dos apps. My guess is that
>  > somewhere in the initialisation allocconsole would have to be called.
>

> You need to talk to Alexandre since that's his patch. Still, there is
>  no AllocConsole() call removed by that commit, so it has nothing to do
>  with the regression.
I've done a bunch of tests with a simple mingw app linked with
-mconsole and found the following results (in xp sp2 vmware):
- Asynchronous calls are not available for console handles (ReadFile
only works in synchronous mode, ReadFileEx doesn't work)
- I can do WaitForSingleObject(GetStdHandle(STD_INPUT_HANDLE),
INFINITE); and it will only return when there is data to be read, like
a key being pressed. in wine it will return immediately, this causes
the breakage of dos apps after wine 0.9.33.

These things make me think that the old behavior of wine is more
correct then the current one, with relation to console handles.

-Maarten.