website: add links to most popular active Wine forums

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 20:48:50 CST 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> can explain what it is that makes google groups suck,
>  maybe I can do something about it.  Send those comments
>  to me offlist, though.

I can't think of a way to make it not suck so sending these thoughts
here as they relate still to the current discussion about the
wine-users gateway...

I think the problem is more inherit in newsgroup design. Like you can
view topics in but there is no way to have topics broken in to
categories. I guess this is historical as the traditional newsgroup
structure would have each group be its own catagory if there was
enough demand

example newsgroup structure would be

comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine
comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine.general
comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine.devel
comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine.solaris
comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine.ubuntu

etc

but we just have comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine because the demand
metric is not high enough to have separate groups for each category.
Plus it would make searching a bitch

This is where forums really shine over google groups or a traditional
mailing list to forum gateway. I am all for having mailman cross post
to a forum category but ideally the forum should be an alternative
front end with categories for wine-users and the wine newsgroup.

I don't think it would be any trouble to get Tom's site to have a
gateway that pulled wine-users and the newsgroup feeds in read-only.
If someone wants to post to those forums they would still have to use
traditional means ala mailing list, google groups, but it would
provide a unified location for read-only access. Of course if the
gateway is turned back on I guess wine-users and the newsgroups are
really a single source.

So to recap. Its all about categories for me.

--
Steven Edwards