Can I do this in WINE?

Bret Comstock Waldow bcw1000 at yahoo.com
Sat May 24 01:39:54 CDT 2008

Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
> Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
>> Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
>>> So you want that everyone drop everything they are doing and start
>>> doing something that no one else can possibly use? Because it's either
>>> illegal, too costly or depends on hardware that non one has?  What a
>>> wonderful idea!
>> No, I want to develop a solution that anyone who has a Tablet PC can use
>> to remain in Linux/Unix while using their OWN Tablet PC and the legal
>> copy of Tablet XP that is licensed for that actual PC, and I want to
>> tell others how to do it so they can for themselves.
> In your solution you had 2 windows copies running at the same time.
> That you can't do with only one license.
I most certainly do not have two copies of Windows running at the same
time with this new proposal, anymore than there are ANY copies of
Windows running if I run Notepad off my disk  in Linux via the WINE app.

I install a COM app I write on my Tablet XP, shut down Tablet XP, and
then boot Linux and run the app off the disk  from Linux, just like we
do when we run a copy of Notepad via WINE in Linux, or a game, or Word,
off the Windows install partition, without running the full copy of
Windows that is on the partition.

My CURRENT .NET server based solution DOES involve a running copy of
Tablet XP, on the hardware it's licensed to be installed on, accessible
on a network to the person who is legally entitled to access it over the
network, just as Microsoft's license says they may.  It is even possible
to load the local install of Windows right off it's partition in VMware,
although it is an advanced use of VMware - and only one copy is running,
and it's always running on the hardware it's actually licensed for -
never anywhere else.

Cheers,
Bret