Ubuntu Popularity Contest - 37% Wine install base, 10% who use, and 7% who use regularly

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Fri May 30 13:27:24 CDT 2008

Tom Wickline wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
>> Combine this with other estimates of Ubuntu's user base (about 8 million
>> last I heard), and you have approximately 800,000 Wine users.
>>

> That would be 800,000 Wine users on Ubuntu right? 10% of the
> (8 million) So with all the other Linux distros, BSD's, Mac, Solaris...
> The total user base would be closer to 2 million or more?
>
> Tom

Indeed.  If Ubuntu still represents the ~30% marketshare it had in 2007
when they did the dekstoplinux.com survey
(http://www.desktoplinux.com/cgi-bin/survey/survey.cgi?view=archive&id=0813200712407),
and if users of other distributions are just as likely to use Wine as
Ubuntu users, then we can estimate there are about 2.6 million Wine
users out there.

Wow!  Of course, this estimate is too high if Ubuntu has grown
substantially in marketshare since the 2007 survey, but even if Ubuntu
has climbed to 40% that's still 2 million Wine users out there.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie