Fw: Re: Sound problems with latest kernel -- formerly a pulseaudio thread but not any more

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 29 18:48:47 CDT 2009

Whoops. This should have gone to the list.

>>> OK, thanks for that clarification.
>>>
>>> So you've tracked the problem down to kernel version 2.6.29? What
>>> version of ALSA drivers are in your working and broken kernels?
>>
>> I've actually tracked it to before that.
>>
>> Wine's audio last worked with one of Ubuntu's generic kernels, probably 2.6.28-10.
>> Ubuntu's current repository kernel is 2.6.28-11. That's the one I that caused the problem.
>> The experimental bug-fix kernel is 2.6.28-12. That does not solve my problem.
>> (Here's where I got the kernel: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~dtchen/test-kernels/ )
>>
>> When my kernel worked, my drivers were 0.1.19 -- one of Tashaki Iwai's daily stable builds from a couple of weeks ago.
>> They are 0.1.19 now, today's daily stable build, compiled against 2.6.29-1-rt8-custom, which is what I am running at the moment.
>>
>> My 29-rt kernel is showing the same problems as the two kernels mentioned above.
>> FWIW, the person who compiled the RT kernel said that he did so without applying the Ubuntu patches. So that tells me that the change took place outside the Ubuntu patches.
>>

>I've had a few users report crashing in steam games as a result of
>pulseaudio: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/367379  -- do you think this
>is all related?
>
>Thanks,
>Scott Ritchie

Maybe. From the bug, it's hard to tell.
But here's what I think. I think that the kernel made changes recently that changed how sound relates to the kernel, and tied pulseaudio closer to the kernel (hence those error messages I got under 2.6.28-11, which kernel was acknowledged to be buggy the day it came out). Some of the bugs they either backed out or corrected with 2.6.28-12.
It would be interesting to see if they can get steam running with that kernel.
If you are working with the steam-bug people ask them to add the below kernel, purge pulseaudio, and test with alsa only.
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~dtchen/test-kernels/
Of course, they need headers, image & restricted modules.
Susan