work underway: Dependency on openal incoming

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Tue Dec 1 04:01:03 CST 2009

Maarten Lankhorst <m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Alexandre,
>
> Alexandre Julliard schreef:
>> Openal missing at compile time or at runtime should be handled the same
>> way, i.e. by reporting no sound devices. It doesn't make sense to have
>> two different failure modes.
>>
> Mac OSX can only link directly to openal with -framework OpenAL, so
> dynamic linking is impossible. As a result dsound will fail to load if
> libopenal is missing. I don't think there is a better way to handle
> this without ugliness, I'm confident that all distributions are
> shipping a version of openal these days, even the 64-bits ones.

I don't see why you couldn't dynamically load a framework, but in any
case my point still stands, the failure mode should be the same for
compile time vs. run time. Failing to load completely on Mac OS would be
acceptable if there's no alternative, but we can do better on other
platforms.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org