ntdll: add a warning about running wine as root (resend)

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 21:19:55 CST 2009

2009/2/10 Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at kievinfo.com>:
> Alexandre Julliard wrote:
>> Again, please demonstrate the exact sequence that leads to an actual
>> problem, not just vague hearsay of people reporting problems that may or
>> may not have anything to do with this.
>>
> Will this work? BTW default Open SuSE configuration.
>
> vitaliy at dragon:~ $export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-root
> vitaliy at dragon:~ $sudo wine winecfg
> root's password:
Since when did sudo ask for root's password? It (normally?) asks for
the user's password.

> wine: created the configuration directory '/root/.wine'
Is WINEPREFIX being passed to wine via sudo? For that matter, is sudo
overriding $HOME on your system? Or have you run "su -c winecfg" and
just replaced it with "sudo" above?

> Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
> Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
Interesting. xauth problem. Again, I'd be surprised if this happened
with sudo. Not so surprised if it happened with "su -".