current state of full screen on MacOS?

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Fri Jul 10 08:26:40 CDT 2009

Hi,

I'd like to know whether a MacOSX user can expect full screen modes to work, as
I've heard only rumors and too little facts.  My experience is this:

+ winecfg's window opens fine even with desktop set uo full screen, no window.
  E.g. as in the initial setting after rm -rf ~/.wine; wine winecfg.
+ Likewise, other programs opening windows work fine (regedit, notepad etc.).

- Programs that offer a "select screen resolution" requester present a
  list whose largest vertical/Y resolution is 22 pixel less than what
  the monitor offers.  I believe OSX reserves some place for its menu
  bar.  Lower resolution entries, e.g. 1024x768 and 800x600, are
  listed normally.  They work in desktop window mode.

- Programs that want to make use of full screen fail or hang somehow.
  The issue may be two-fold:
a) full screen does not work at all, or
b) switching to full screen resolutions less than my LCD's native
  resolution does not work, and applications do not cope with that.
  E.g. many want to display a low-resolution intro video.

- Approx. two monthes ago, a hybrid desktop mode was implemented in
  Wine: eliminate the desktop window when it matches the full screen
  size; recreate it when switching back to lower resolutions.  I've
  not observed that effect either, but the idea is brilliant.

I've heard that OSX would not switch to lower resolutions like Linux
machines do with e.g. xrandr -s 1 or -s 2 etc.

My LCD monitor can stretch low resolution VGA signals, e.g. when plugged
to a Linux netbook.  However the "early 2009" nVidia Macs do not
produce analog video signals anymore, and I'm using the DVI-D output.

What's the current state of Wine (and Darwine) w.r.t. full screen mode?
Is it just my digital DVI + LCD setting or is there an issue with Wine?

I've built Wine-1.1.24 with OSX 10.5.7 and XQuartz 2.3.3.2.

Thank you,
	Jörg Höhle.