ODBC Databases: Jet/Access success

Barry Bird barry at ornithade.co.uk
Sat Jul 25 00:18:18 CDT 2009

> Barry Bird wrote:
>
>> [Bottom post please, that's how we do things here.]

>>> Austin:
>>>
>>> Can his list be bounced against the Jet40 and MDAC28 installations?
>>>
>>> James McKenzie

> You'll find my list is a subset of Jet40, plus odbc files.  I tried to
> get Jet 4.0 SP8 from
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239114
> but failed.  I don't think there is a Jet 4.0 SP8 as such any longer.
> It's all in the form of hotfixes. I have Windows XP SP3 to which I have
> some time ago updated with Jet 4.0 SP8. I downloaded
> WindowsXP-KB829558-x86-ENU.exe as that article says, set wine to Windows
> XP and executed
> wine WindowsXP-KB829558-x86-ENU.exe
> It refused to run, saying my version of XP was already ahead of where it
> was trying to update to.
>
> Later down the Microsoft page it says:
>
> "...the ODBC Desktop Driver Pack drivers. These drivers are included
> with the Windows 2000 operating system, the Windows XP operating system,
> and the Windows Server 2003 operating system."
>
> This article
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271908/
> says
> "MDAC version 2.6 and later do not contain Jet or Desktop ODBC drivers"
>
> so it seems the latest MDAC's no use, so I use my list of files from my
> WinXP installation.  I may have missed something, but that's the way it
> seems it has to be.  Do you really want to go back to MDAC 2.5?
>
> It may be that to fully support all features of JET databases and ODBC
> there are some other DLLs (look at
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms810823.aspx) which should also
> be added.  What I gave is a minimum set to get my programs to work.
>
> Barry:
>
> We talk about winetricks here because Dan Kegel and Austin English put a
> lot of time into it to make it work.
>
> For Jet/Access database use, I retrieve the winetricks script, save it
> as a file, make it executable (that may be because I'm using a Mac).
> Since I use a Mac I have to open a terminal session and type in:
>
> ./winetricks jet40 mdac28
>
> This retrieves the Jet Engine version 4.0 and MDAC 2.8.
>
> I would have to check if MDAC includes the ODBC frontend, but it
> probably does not.  I don't think that it would be legal to copy the
> ODBC front end from Windows, but then again a replacement program might
> be available.
>
> I am going to get you list and then use a clean wineprefix to see how
> much of what you installed is installed with these two updates.
>
> James McKenzie
>
> James,

Contrary to what the article (271908 ) I quoted earlier says the latest
MDAC does contain the ODBC
files if you look in the manifest. The Jet SP contains the others apart
from these:
clbcatq.dll
comres.dll
So, I've done as you suggest and used winetricks on a clean .wine to
download & install Jet 4.0 and MDAC 2.8.
However I note that the Jet package is for old windows, not XP or 2k.
This does everything except set up the registry for the Jet drivers in
- HKLM\Software\ODBC
So I imported the reg file for that.
This works for my programs. The missing dlls don't seem to matter. It's
also a more comprehensive set of dlls.
For example I didn't have the odbc drivers for cursors, which I don't use.
In a separate mail I'll lay out my revised how-to!

Thanks very much,

Barry