Request for comments on patch

Mike Kaplinskiy mike.kaplinskiy at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 16:13:03 CDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Roderick
Colenbrander<thunderbird2k at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 10:52 PM, Roderick
> Colenbrander<thunderbird2k at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Erich Hoover<ehoover at mines.edu> wrote:

>>> It's been some time since I've seen those patches pass through (it's
>>> also possible I missed the patch your talking about), but if I
>>> remember correctly there were a couple different reasons they were
>>> rejected.  It sounded like the issue was that they reported a driver
>>> that doesn't exist and/or that the registry key manually specified a
>>> driver.  My suggestion is that there's a "try to report the
>>> manufacturer driver" type registry key and that it, when activated,
>>> reports a real driver.  This real driver then funnels the requests
>>> back to winex11.drv (with room to add additional non-funneled requests
>>> later, such as requesting the card's video RAM).
>>>
>>> Erich Hoover
>>> ehoover at mines.edu
>>>

>> The only thing I didn't add yet was driver identification as I didn't
>> have time for it yet but I just plan to add that to a table in wined3d
>> (the reported driver name depends also on the windows version). In the
>> end adding such info to the display driver would make sense though but
>> I don't think it brings us much at this point.
>>
>> Roderick
>>

> I forgot to mention the reason why previous registry key options
> didn't enter Wine. The reason was that we had to have a good default
> mechanism (e.g. returning nv4_disp.dll for nvidia by default on 2k/xp)
> before adding override keys. The registry keys can be added when this
> mechanism is around.
>
> Roderick

Then perhaps when this mechanism is in place, we can add a way to have
1 general "funnel" dll and symlink it on prefix creation (if it's not
already there). This way we don't have to worry about newer graphics
cards as much, and if there is a specific implementation for a
specific brand/card we can use it instead of the general one.

As for the files being different on different windows' - maybe
extending the list to also return different rows based on the windows
version (and also add WINVER_ALL as wildcard) would work. But that
seems rather hacky, and the whole business doesn't seem like it would
give too much benefit.

Mike.