Request for comments on patch

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Sun Jun 14 16:33:44 CDT 2009

Am Sonntag, 14. Juni 2009 23:11:42 schrieb Erich Hoover:

> So, a patch similar to the one Mike pointed out* but able to report
> different drivers for different OSes would prove acceptable (possibly
> w/ a second patch for overrides)?  The email was some time ago, but I
> thought someone was pretty adamant that Wine should not report a
> driver that does not exist and that was the major show-stopper.
Is there any app that depends on the real display driver name, or just the
device description string? I lost overview of the situation :-/

There are some other problems to deal with:

*) If  we create a stub / thunk driver for each known windows display driver,
we potentially have  all those thunks around. E.g. an app might complain that
it finds BOTH nv4_disp.dll AND atiumdag.dll.

*) Providing these vendor specific DLLs can trigger other problems - for
example, apps might start trying to call functions in the driver, but skip
gracefully now. So we should see if the driver APIs are at least
pseudo-documented

*) Centralized detection. If the gdi32 detection comes to a different
conclusion than the wined3d one this may cause trouble. It may require moving
the current wined3d GL based detection code to winex11.drv and use it from
wined3d and gdi and others to report the same result everywhere.