wine on MacOS 10.5.7: 3/4 success

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Mon May 25 15:41:58 CDT 2009

Hi,

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 7:19 AM,  <Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com> wrote:
> What keys in Wine do you mean precisely? My Mac has subpixel rendering
> disabled on my LCD, but it uses shades of grey (hinting or anti-aliasing?) for most fonts.
> Neither Terminal.app use hinting, nor winecfg: plain black&white.
> I don't have any particular registry key set in Linux.

See bug 10342 for more information. Your freetype needs to be compiled with

#define FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_RENDERING

I did not bother to check with the existing FreeType in the latest
Xorg or Xcode or where ever it is, under OS X, I just assumed its not
enabled and I rolled my own for other reasons anyway. To enable
SubPixel support you need to change the value for HCU\Control
Panel\Desktop\FontSmoothing from 0 to 1(I think) or 2. Setting the
option to 1 seems to change the algorithm used, I think that's using
Gray Scale hinting, there is a lot of traffic on the bug so I might
have just missed where it clarifies. Setting the option to 2 (to me at
least) looks best.

http://steven-edwards.kicks-ass.org/~sedwards/Safari-vs-Wine-without-Subpixel.png
http://steven-edwards.kicks-ass.org/~sedwards/Safari-vs-Wine-with-Subpixel.png

--