winmm: MCI system commands are not eligible for auto-open. (try 2)

Juan Lang juan.lang at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 10:07:19 CDT 2010

Hi Dmitry,

> And another rule is that the patch which changes the behaviour of an API
> needs to have an appropriate test case which does not pass before the patch
> (i.e. has the todo_wine around it), and passes after the patch (i.e. the patch
> removes the corresponding todo_wine). Your patch doesn't qualify for that.

I think this is a good guideline, but I think Joerg justified his
approach reasonably well:  his first attempt introduced a test failure
because it caused a previously spuriously passing test to fail.  His
choices are to resubmit this patch, marking the test todo_wine along
with an explanation, and follow up with the patch that really fixes
the test, or to submit the two combined.  I think both are reasonable
if the explanation is clear enough.

The rule clearly applies when a test was not spuriously passing
before, e.g. is marked todo_wine, but in cases when the test is
spuriously passing, the "tests must always pass" rule also comes into
play.  The tests must always pass rule takes precedence, making the
tests should only ever remove a todo_wine rule impossible to meet.
--Juan