Windows Imaging Component

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 10:47:52 CDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Roderick Colenbrander
<thunderbird2k at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 4:54 AM, Georgij Kirichenko
> <kirichenkoga at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This patch add support for decoding Dds, Ppm(and pgm, pbm) and Tga files th
>> Windows Imaging Component.
>
> Each format you are adding requires its own patch.
>
>> This patch use dynamic linked FreeImage library, but i'am can't static link
>> this library.
>
> First of all, I'm not so sure we want to use FreeImage. The initial
> thing about which I'm not sure is the license. You can use it under
> either a commercial license or under the GPL. The last one at least is
> usable for us as it would make all of Wine GPL when you link to it.
> I'm not sure about the 'free image public license terms'. It is not
> something like a BSD license, but more complicated. Someone would have
> to look at it whether that would even be usable (commercial versions
> like Crossover would have issues).
>
> From what I remember TGA, and the PPM family are at least easy (not
> sure about DDS though, but I believe it is easy as well). If there are
> good standalone libs like libjpeg, libpng and friends for such
> libraries which are either BSD or LGPL licensed (or something similar
> that would be fine). We might also want to do them ourselves if we
> wanted (and they are relatively trivial).
>
> Lets wait for what others are saying.
>
> Roderick

I missed this bit from the website:
When using FreeImage in your open source or commercial application,
you are REQUIRED to :
"
distribute the license (GNU GPL or FIPL) you choosed with your
application (i.e. the TXT file)
provide a suitable acknowledgement, either in the program's "About"
box or in the user's manual (or both), for example :

This software uses the FreeImage open source image library. See
http://freeimage.sourceforge.net for details.
FreeImage is used under the (GNU GPL or FIPL), version (license version)."

Apparently they want you to mention that you are using their library
which is not something we do in Wine (as far as I know) for anything
else. (If we were using the GPL version, I'm not sure if the GPL even
requires to such an advertising clause which I believe it doesn't)

Roderick