The __WINE__ macro does not identify the Wine platform

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Jun 17 20:32:19 CDT 2010

On 2010-06-18 01:23+0100 Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

> Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>> Thus, is there not some standard means that could be used
>> for wine to tell the various MinGW compilers built on Microsoft Windows but
>> run under wine to always #define __WINE__?
>
> I am quite sure AJ will object to any such things - as far as the various
> compilers (and windows applications in general) are concerned, they should
> just believe they are running under windows. If a compiler (or a windows
> application) behaves differently under Microsoft Windows vs under wine, it is
> a bug for wine.

I recommend you read the complete thread at
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg15669.html where your
point of view was expressed, but was eloquently answered to the point where
the rest of the thread (including AJ) consisted of discussing implementation
details.  Of course it is quite possible AJ's views back then have changed
now (or I misunderstood that thread).  In that case I will just live with
it, but let's let AJ speak for himself on this issue.

Note also, my whole argument is based on the assumption that some standard
means already exists for telling compilers running on Wine to #define
__WINE__ at run time.  However, if such standard means do not already exist
there is no way I would want to ask for changes in any compilers (as you
incorrectly imply later in your post), and again I would just live with
it.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).