gnome-exe-thumbnailer -- using embedded icons for .exe and .dll files

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Sat Jun 19 23:33:46 CDT 2010

On 06/18/2010 03:18 AM, Jerome Leclanche wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Damjan Jovanovic <damjan.jov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The icons look cute and I like the version numbers, but you can't
>> thumbnail all Windows files outside Wine - for example .lnk files
>> internally specify a C:\path\to\file.ico style path to the icon which
>> then requires Wine's drive settings to resolve (or worse, use the file
>> extension's default icon from the Windows registry).
>
> Can't this be fixed with winepath magic?

What was the plan for .lnk files anyway?  Last I heard we were
discussing ways to hide them from the interface entirely, so giving them
an icon wouldn't really matter.

>> I am planning to add thumbnailing for .exe files to Wine's
>> winemenubuilder when my .lnk thumbnailing patch gets accepted -
>> probably post Wine 1.2. In addition Windows has its own thumbnailing
>> mechanism that applications can register with, which Wine could
>> integrate into freedesktop.org as well at some stage.
>>
>> Your new wineglass icon looks good. Could you please send a patch to
>> replace programs/winemenubuilder/wine.xpm with your one? Also, with
>> the recent patches, winemenubuilder should hardly ever generate the
>> wineglass for menus any more.

Shouldn't that icon just be the normal new straight-up wineglass icon
that we use elsewhere? ie:
http://www.airwebreathe.org.uk/wine-icon/oic_winlogo-48-32.png

> Icons look good indeed. Is there a switch I can flick to turn off the
> version numbers though?

No, not at the moment.  Even more worrisome is that there's nowhere to
see the version information other than by squinting at the icon itself
-- right click->properties would be a good place for that, but that's
another task.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie