new winetricks 20100618: new verbs dxsdk_nov2006, windowscodecs

Vincent Povirk madewokherd at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 23:30:50 CDT 2010

> I'm not quite sure what the correct way to deal with this situation
> would be, if we want to address this at all. I figure that most users
> of games that rely on the D3DX utility DLLs usually won't have any
> reason to install the WIC redist, and most of the time, they would
> have cause to install the native d3dx9_*.dll libraries to work around
> unimplemented functionality, which would sidestep the issue.
>
> I suppose, given that winetricks does offer verbs that potentially
> break builtins, the issue could simply be ignored, or a warning could
> be issued regarding the potential issue, if you think that's merited.

I guess it's not a problem. It's just that up until now, I've been
trying to keep them interchangeable.

I don't think there's a need for a warning, as long as it's easy to
identify the situation from logs, starting from the default output. It
should be pretty obvious: a failure to instantiate a builtin WIC clsid
followed by a d3dx fixme.