ANGLE: wined3d in reverse?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Mar 19 01:37:39 CDT 2010

http://blog.chromium.org/2010/03/introducing-angle-project.html
"We're happy to announce a new open source project called Almost
Native Graphics Layer Engine, or ANGLE for short. The goal of ANGLE is
to layer WebGL's subset of the OpenGL ES 2.0 API over DirectX 9.0c API
calls. We're open-sourcing ANGLE under the BSD license as an early
work-in-progress, but when complete, it will enable browsers like
Google Chrome to run WebGL content on Windows computers without having
to rely on OpenGL drivers.

Current browser implementations of WebGL need to be able to issue
graphics commands to desktop OpenGL to render content. This
requirement isn't a problem on computers running OS X or Linux, where
OpenGL is the primary 3D API and therefore enjoys solid support. On
Windows, however, most graphics-intensive apps use Microsoft Direct3D
APIs instead of OpenGL, so OpenGL drivers are not always available.
Unfortunately, this situation means that even if they have powerful
graphics hardware, many Windows machines can't render WebGL content
because they don't have the necessary OpenGL drivers installed. ANGLE
will allow Windows users to run WebGL content without having to find
and install new drivers for their system.

Because ANGLE aims to implement most of the OpenGL ES 2.0 API, the
project may also be useful for developers who are working on
applications for mobile and embedded devices. ANGLE should make it
simpler to prototype these applications on Windows, and also gives
developers new options for deploying production versions of their code
to the desktop.

We hope that other WebGL implementors and others in the graphics
community will join us to make ANGLE successful! For more info on
ANGLE and to access the code repository, visit the new project on
Google Code or join our discussion group."

So, it'd be interesting to see if it runs on Wine.  I love stacking
them blocks as high as I can :-)